The 2017 Poster Contest has concluded. Check back for information about the 2018 Poster Contest.
Poster Contest 2017
The annual Conservation Poster Contest provides kindergarten through twelfth grade students an opportunity to convey their thoughts about soil, water and related natural resource issues through art. It also highlights the educational outreach efforts of conservation districts and their state conservation associations, auxiliaries and agencies. The poster contest theme follows the annual NACD Stewardship theme.
Each year, the poster contest starts at the district level and moves on to the state level. The Shenandoah Valley SWCD will forward our local winning poster entries to the VASWCD office for consideration at the state level.
2017 Poster Contest Theme:
Healthy Soils are Full of Life
Poster Categories By Grade:
The contest is open to public, private or home school students, girl scout/boy scout troops, etc.
Rules and Resources:
- Click here for a list of local contest rules
- Click here for helpful resources about soils
- Click here for the NACD Power Point Presentation about 2017 Poster Contest
To Enter the Contest:
Click here for a Local Poster Contest Entry Form and submit back to Shenandoah Valley Soil & Water by April 28th, 2017
- Each 1st place winner (one per category) will receive a conservation kit. These posters will also be submitted to the state poster contest for competition.
- Each 2nd place winner (one per category) will receive a conservation kit.
- Each 3rd place winner (one per category) will receive a conservation kit.
- All participants will receive a ribbon of participation.
- Any student that is in the Girl Scouts & Boy Scouts can receive a patch for participating in the contest. Interested students must request the patch on their completed entry form.
- State winners receive recognition and a prize from the VASWCD. The 1st place poster in each category will be submitted to the National Association of Conservation Districts’ Poster Contest.
- The top three posters in each category of the national contest will receive monetary prizes. First place winners will receive $200, second place winners will receive $150 and 3rd place winners will receive $100. Monetary prizes at the national level are sponsored by the NACD Auxiliary from their quilt project and the Albert I Pierce Foundation.
Visit the NACD Poster Contest site for additional resources and information: http://www.nacdnet.org/general-resources/stewardship-and-education-materials/contests/